As you likely already know, moving is an incredibly stressful prospect, which requires quite a bit of attention and action. It’s never easy to pack up your entire home or business in order to move it to a new location. There’s much to be done, and never a dull moment, but when you understand what you’re in for, the entire process becomes that much easier. As such, we’ve compiled five tips to help you have a less stressful, more enjoyable, move.
The tips are as follows:
Our Five Big Tips for a Successful Move
• Plan in advance. When I say advance, I mean well in advance, at least two months in fact. You want to give yourself more than enough time to handle all of the little complications and situations that will arise as your moving day draws near. By giving yourself two, or even three, months to prepare, your stress levels will be significantly reduced. Remember, you have to find a mover, pack and clean your place, shut off or transfer all services, notify all organizations, and possibly quite a bit more. Give yourself the luxury of time by starting your preparations at least two months prior to when you want to move.
• Decide what you want and don’t want and then discard it yourself. As you begin cleaning and packing up your home or business, you will find that there are lots of items that you won’t need or don’t want to take with you. These items will either have to be thrown away, or donated to a local organization. Once you’ve decided what you want to keep and what you don’t, you should personally handle the disposal of those items so that you don’t have to pay the moving company to do it. Also, if the items are gently used, try donating them to a church or charitable organization as they will be overjoyed to take those items off of your hands.
• Learn how to pack properly. To ensure that your belongings arrive in the same condition they left in, you need to learn how to pack properly. Proper packing will preserve your possessions because it prevents items from shifting during transition. It may seem like an easy task, but it’s actually an art form. With boxes, you need to fill the space so that the items inside won’t have any room to wiggle or move. You’ll also need to carefully place the items into the box, so that the strongest points are used for support throughout the transition. Additionally, large items will need to be disassembled, drawers will need to be emptied, and the truck will also need to be filled correctly. It’s a daunting task, which is why the best option is to hire a professional moving company that can handle the packing for you.
• Gather materials and supplies yourself. One of the major factors in rising moving costs is materials and supplies. Each box, roll of tape, and any other materials will come at a premium price if you get them from the moving company. However, they can all be obtained for a nominal fee if you purchase them yourself. Boxes can be obtained from your local grocery, as can tape and packing paper. Often, newspaper is used as a substitute packing paper, and it is an effective alternative, but the ink has a tendency to leak and it can leave stains on your items. Moving blankets may be a bit more difficult to purchase, however they can be rented, and you can also use old comforters as a substitute. By gathering the supplies and materials yourself, you will save yourself a great deal on the total cost of your move.
• Do extensive research on the moving companies available to you. As you prepare to choose a professional moving company to assist with your move, it’s important to remember that research will save you from ending up with a rogue moving company. Begin by assessing a company’s website; is the information clear, and does it include their licensing and contact information? They should be open and honest about those things, so that you can follow up with research in person. Be wary of peer-review sites as they can be easily manipulated to make a company look better or worse. Instead, call and ask questions to gauge the company’s knowledge and professionalism. If they pass the online and over-the-phone tests, then it’s time to take a visit to their facilities to verify that they truly are everything they say they are. Once you have a company that sounds good, looks good, and has proven to be honest and reliable, it’s time to get moving.
These tips should help steer you in the right direction as you prepare to move. Hopefully, they will make your next relocation effortless, enjoyable, and stress-free.
Stefan Simon is a professional blogger for Acclaimed Movers & Storage, a professional Los Angeles based moving and storage company that specializes in long distance and international moves.